5 Steps to Get Started with Technology
While on campus:
- Go to the wireless settings on your computer or device.
- Choose the JAYHAWK wireless network.
- For your username, enter your personal KU Online ID (typically comprised of letters and numbers, such as j123h456). Enter your password.
- Accept any prompts and/or certificates.
See our device setup page for screenshots.
Looking for Wi-Fi in the residence halls? See KU Housing’s webpage
You will receive email communication from the University, your instructors, and campus support staff via your KU email address. Monitor your email daily using any of the following options:
- Log in to Office 365 with your KU Online ID (typically comprised of letters and numbers) and password.
- Connect your KU email to your smartphone and computer to get instant updates. See our device setup pages for step-by-step instructions.
Don’t have Outlook? See the next step to download it or browse our Knowledge Base for instructions on connecting other types of email software.
Other email-related tips:
- Create a personalized email address (email alias) by visiting MyIdentity Services and clicking on the blue button for “Email Services.” Note: You can’t change KU Online ID (typically comprised of letters and numbers).
- Do you go by a name other than the one on your official records? Visit Updating Personal Information and the Center for Sexuality and Gender Diversity for more information.
As a KU student, you can download and use the latest version of Microsoft Office on your computer, as well as use the mobile apps. See our Device Setup page for step-by-step instructions.
Need directions for a different operating system? See our Knowledge Base.
Learn to how to use Microsoft’s Office 365, OneDrive, and OneNote to stay organized for classes by viewing our Technology for Students video series.
Your instructors may use Blackboard to post course information, including grades, course-related reading, and more.
- Log in to Blackboard with your KU Online ID (typically comprised of letters and numbers) and password. Use this website for the full set of tools and options, including submitting assignments, viewing course reading materials, and completing other graded work.
- Download the Blackboard mobile app for updates on grades and announcements.
Don’t see your course(s) in Blackboard? Check with the instructor to ensure they are using Blackboard.
Need to hide a past course? Edit your My Courses list using these instructions.
Teams is a great option for group work. Features include video conferencing, discussion threads and real-time document sharing and collaboration. Teams is part of the Office 365 suite, which you can install for free on up to five personal devices by logging in to Office 365. Once installed, select “Teams” to find or create your own team, and select “Jayhawk Cloud” for tips, tricks and guides. For more information, please visit the HowtoKU or Jayhawk Cloud websites.
Need Tech Help?
The KU IT Customer Service Center provides a diverse range of support to meet your technology needs and facilitate the innovative use of technology for learning, scholarship and creative endeavor.